Friday, January 1, 2016

Looking to 2016 – Adjusting my Priorities

This quote, often attributed to Mahatma Gandhi,
was actually made by Charles. A. Garfield. in
Peak Performers (1987)
This has been an amazing year for me. Another new book, the best sales figures I’ve had yet, and the most author appearances and workshops that I’ve given in a single year so far. It’s all been very exciting, but the truth is that I feel like I need to make some changes to the way I’m managing my career. In the spirit of a New Year’s Resolution, here’s a look at what will be different for me next year.

The biggest change I want to make is a reemphasis on my own writing. The truth is that if I hadn’t released an anthology of short stories this year, I wouldn’t have had a new title for 2015. This is particularly frustrating for me (and many of my fans) since I’ve got two novels that have sequels in the works, one of which was published three years ago! While some of this is the result of story issues with the respective projects, the fact is that I’ve dedicated so much time to my teaching schedule lately that my creative time has often taken a begrudging backseat.

I’ve always said that I wanted to be an author first and a writing coach second, but last year I spent much more time traveling and teaching than I ever had before. Of course, this was very exciting, as the majority of my appearances were made by request, but the truth is that speaking at a writers conference or a Con is an honor that comes with a lot of expenses. Few speaker fees cover the cost of attending these events, and many organizations provide little-to-no compensation at all.

In addition to the financial costs, teaching at conferences represents a significant time investment well beyond the few days that the event actually takes up. I’ve always resisted the urge to give the same presentation at every event, and I now have a catalog of over a dozen workshops and panels, most of which can be given in a single hour or expanded to take up an entire day, if need be. That level of preparation takes time and energy, much of which I would prefer dedicating to my writing.

So does this mean that I’m planning on becoming a hermit who hides in my room and just writes all day? Of course not. I still love connecting with my fans and helping writers improve their craft. But I’m going to be more judicious in 2016 when deciding how I’ll be spending my time. Rather than chasing down more speaking engagements or similar cold-contacting, I plan to dedicate my time and energy to more effective activities like writing my books, interacting with my street team, and working with organizations that value my time and expertise.

I’ve already had some great feedback and displays of support from my fans on my proposed change of focus. Several fans have even shown their support by generously donating to my Patreon account, which will allow me to dedicate even more time to my writing. I’m so grateful for the enthusiasm and support of my fans. It was all of you that made this such a great year for me, and I look forward to writing more of the stories I love in 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment