Friday, January 15, 2016

Highlights from the Magic, Mystery and Mirth Online Launch Party

Last Tuesday I hosted an online launch party for my latest title, a collection of fanciful short stories called Magic, Mystery and Mirth. For two hours, I answered fan questions and shared videos and games, each of which was based on one of the eight stories. For those of you who missed the party, here are some of the games and videos that attendees enjoyed...


STORY ONE: SHARP SWORD DULL SWORD – A sarcastic talking sword is less than thrilled when a smelly barbarian tries to claim him.

Game: Take a look at this picture of a warrior, his sword, and a dragon and give it an appropriately snarky caption. Bonus points if it’s from the sword’s point of view!

"I find myself between a jock and a carapace..."

Pens never have to deal with this!

And with a snap of massive jaws, Sir Overly-Confident was never heard from again.

"What I wouldn't give to be a crossbow..."

Mmm... I hope this tasty morsel is not one of those nasty cherry-cordials masquerading as a hero...

"You kiss ya motha with that mouth?"

"This again?! I am not a dental instrument damn it!"

"NO! I refuse to be used as a toothpick!"

"Oh great, first Smatila the Hunbearable, now I can look forward to rusting as Smaug's toothpick!"


STORY FOUR: TAKING A DJINN TO COURT – An attorney specializing in fanciful cases takes a genie to court for giving out bad wishes.

Game: Write your best wish contract for any wish you want. Then, take a look at other people’s contracts and try to find as many loopholes as you can!

Best Entry: I, [Name Withheld], wish to be granted three wishes per year ad infinitum, whereas one year is defined as one full rotation of the earth around the sun of our solar system (365 days) and shall begin at midnight on my birthday of February 1st and shall end at 11:59:59 of January 31st. These three annual wishes shall only be granted after they have been put in the proper format*, as described below. If the wish in question should cause any disastrous, catastrophic, or apocalyptic effects when implemented, the Djinni is obligated to inform me before granting said wish.

*Proper format of a wish is either:
A) Written Wish Request, placed in a pre-determined agreed upon place between the Wisher and the Djinn, i.e. a "wish-box" or altar shelf.
B) If a spoken wish is to be granted, it must contain at least one of the following phrases:
1. "This is an emergency!"
2. "Danger!"
3. "Help!" or "Help me!" or Help me now!"


STORY SIX: LUMPY – This story about a boy and his puppet is a humorous tribute to Jim Henson and following your dreams.

Video: Here’s a look at a group of puppeteers that I think carry the spirit of the original Muppets much better than the current reality-television version. Be sure to watch the whole song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJRUo1zmIQ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJRUo1zmIQ4 


Thanks to everyone who stopped by our online party. I had a great time, and I will definitely be doing more events like this one in the future!

Magic, Mystery and Mirth Amazon Page

No comments:

Post a Comment