Friday, October 2, 2015

On Steamposium and the Chanticleer Authors Conference 2015

I recently finished what has been the most ambitious speaking schedule I’ve attempted thus far. Two days at Steamposium, the Seattle steampunk convention, and three more at the Chanticleer Authors Conference in Bellingham. Seven panels and workshops in five days on subjects ranging from the origins of steampunk to managing author marketing resources. It was intense, exhausting, a little scary, and very, very rewarding.

I started bright and early on Friday morning at Steamposium, manning my vendor table and selling books along with fellow authors Jeffrey Cook and Lee French. Over the course of the two days, I saw a variety of elaborate costumes and had many opportunities to discuss both the culture and literature of steampunk. My favorite part of the Con probably happened on the first day while sitting on the Steampunk 101 panel. As we chatted with the crowd before starting, I noticed a face in the audience that seemed familiar. It turns out that he had attended a similar workshop that I’d given at the Brass Screw in Port Townsend, and had been hoping to hear me speak again in Seattle.

Since I spent most of my time either at the vendor table or sitting in on panels, I didn’t get much of a chance to see many of the Con’s attractions. I did take the time to wander the vendor floor a few times, and was impressed by the vast array of artistic and mechanical talent demonstrated by the artists and vendors. It would have been nice to stay for the final day of the event, but I had a workshop to give at nine in the morning on Sunday in Bellingham, so I headed north.


The Chanticleer Authors Conference was both intimate and intensive. There were speakers and presentations nearly every hour of each day, mostly focused on the business of promotion and marketing. Despite giving several workshops myself, I found myself furiously taking notes during nearly every presentation and plan on making some significant changes to my own marketing plan as a result. Of course, it wasn’t all business. I made many new friends from both the States and Canada, including James Wells, a hard sci-fi author and the great-grandson of H.G. Wells. James was also kind enough to allow me to stay at his home throughout the event, which was a delightful treat for me.

There were many highlights at the authors conference for me. Hearing Robert Dugoni speak was one of them. Learning enough about promotion to feel a measure of confidence rather than intimidation was another. But the greatest part of the event had to be staying with James and his family. He showed me a clock that had belonged to H.G., as well as a book that was full of the classic author’s own penciled edits.

I wasn’t sure how I would handle the demanding schedule I’d created for myself, but I’m proud to say that I emerged from the experience with both greater knowledge and some amazing memories. Standing in the cool evening air on Sunday night and watching a red-tinged lunar eclipse with the great-grandson of H.G. Wells, I realized that I was having a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Here’s hoping that I continue to have similar experiences as I pursue my dreams and goals.
An image of H.G. Wells' personal notes on an early copy of The Country of the Blind provided by James Wells

2 comments:

  1. Lindsay,
    I'm glad you got that experience. Happy to meet you. That was a grueling schedule!
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great seeing you at Chanticleer and sitting in on your Building Worlds session. I'm looking forward to seeing you again later this month.

    ReplyDelete