Friday, May 6, 2016

A New Video for Beast Hunter Fans!

I'm very excited to announce that I finally have a new video on my YouTube channel. The first of what I hope will become a series of author readings, this video features a reading from the prologue of The Beast Hunter performed by yours truly. 


This project was a lot of fun for me, as it gave me a chance to dust off some of the performance and editing skills that I haven't really used since my time in the theater and film school. Of course, regardless of my experience, there were some kinks in the process. The video that is now available to the world is actually my second attempt at this project. 

The first time I tried making this video, I did my best to do the reading like a voice-over professional would do for an audio book. I tried to set a mood with my tone and inflection, and was very careful to enunciate and speak in an even, measured cadence. While I succeeded in creating a moody, atmospheric piece, when I shared the video with my street team, the reaction was mixed. Several members felt that it was too dramatic and lacked a personal touch. They much preferred a second reading I had done after filming my Q&A video that was done in a single take and felt much more like the sort of reading I would do for a live audience. 

In the end, I decided to set the atmospheric video aside and post the more personable one instead. Perhaps I'll share the first video once I start to get serious about doing an audio book of The Beast Hunter. That way, I can let you, my wonderful fans, cast your votes for which style you'd prefer to hear as I read my first steampunk fantasy novel to you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment