Thursday, August 28, 2014

Creature Profile: Crawler Excerpt

Here’s an excerpt from Lost Under Two Moons describing the deadly crawler. Hopefully this gives all you artists some ideas for your own version of this creature. Remember that the deadline to get your artwork to me is September 15th. Can’t wait to see what you all come up with!

Excerpt taken from the December 1st entry, Day 100


There’s also a small variety of flying creatures around here, but to be honest I’m getting tired of writing. I’ll stop after describing one more new species. It’s large, about the same size as a sail beast but less ostentatious. This creature has the general shape of a large bluish-green bird with strong legs and long wings. What’s strange is that while this creature may technically be a biped, the bird moves by crawling on its belly, using its folded wings like a second pair of legs, similar to the way a bat would move on the ground. I’m not sure how fast the crawler can move in this way, as I’ve only seen it walking slowly. I suspect that these creatures are carnivores judging by their large, predatory beaks. Perhaps the crawler rises up onto its legs to chase down its prey. Or perhaps it’s a scavenger and primarily feeds on carrion. Either way, the crawlers definitely look to be the most dangerous creatures in the area and everything else is giving them a wide berth. I think it’d be wise for me to do the same. Luckily, there are only a couple of them around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment