Friday, March 13, 2015

Where Did Lost Under Two Moons Come From?

Recently, I was speaking to a group of teenagers about writing and was asked where I got my ideas for my two published novels. While I've described the initial inspiration for The Beast Hunter in various online interviews before, I realized that I've never told the story of how I got the idea for Lost Under Two Moons.

The first inspiration for what would eventually become my first novel came to me during my freshman year in high school. I remember sitting in a particularly boring study hall and going through my backpack trying to find something to entertain me. In one of the pockets I found an unopened package of notecards, and with nothing else to do, I opened it and began to doodle.

I've never been much of an artist, but it didn't seem to matter on a 3 by 5 card that I could always throw away. I started with a random shape and then began adding little details to it. Soon, I had a strange, round little creature with two legs and a body that was little more than a head with gigantic eyes and a gaping mouth. At the time, I had no idea that this simple little pencil sketch would one day be my first major published antagonist, the bigamouth.

I started doing all kinds of sketches, one for each card in the package. Some were just doodles, but most ended up being weird little creatures. By the time I had twenty or thirty of the drawings, I started to think about some kind of story involving them. I even tried starting a novel about a world-hopping cryptozoologist, but it never got farther than the third page and I soon forgot about it to focus on a play I was working on for an upcoming performance.

It wasn't until I returned home from film school in Canada that I thought about those doodles again. I’d decided to give up trying to get into the film industry, and figured I’d try my hand at novel writing instead. I had a novel I’d been working on for years already, but after ten years of work I still had next to nothing to show for it. Dissatisfied, I tried to think of some other idea I may have had at one time or another that I could work on, and thus began work on what would ultimately become Lost Under Two Moons. It took me more than two years’ work, but eventually I had a finished, published novel that started with a doodle in a particularly boring study hall.



Thanks to Jerry Staton for suggesting this week’s article. Leave a comment below if you enjoyed it or have a suggestion for a future subject.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting article. I always find it interesting where some people get their inspiration from and some times it seems to be from the most random things. When you told me you were going to do this article I was wondering if it was something that you pulled out of the air or while working on something else you were inspired that way but to know that it came from a boring study hall and some 3x5 cards is kind of amusing. Thanks for the article and I can not wait to see the next one

    ReplyDelete