Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Steampunk for the Casual Fan

Several years ago, I went to a writer’s conference with some promotional artwork for a brand new,
A typical imagining of a Victorian steampunk setting.
online steampunk serial that I was working on. I was eager to show the character and creature designs to some of my writer friends, and was so excited that I even used one of the pictures as the cover-page to my notebook. At one point, as I was waiting for one of the workshops to start, a fellow attendee sitting next to me noticed the picture and asked what it was for. I eagerly told her all about my story, but was surprised when she didn't seem to share my enthusiasm.

“That doesn't look like steampunk to me,” she said, pointing at my picture. “You don’t have any dirigibles or clockwork gears anywhere. Your main character isn't even wearing goggles!”

It turns out that this writer was also a huge fan of steampunk culture including artwork, fashion, and music. I remember that she was especially appalled that I called myself a steampunk author without having even heard steampunk music before. A little embarrassed, I asked her what it sounded like.

“It’s basically metal,” she said, “but more steampunk.”

So, was she right? Was I just not punk enough to call my stories steampunk?

The Casual Fan and Author

To be honest, I would describe myself as a causal fan of the steampunk genre. While I've played several steampunk video games, read both modern steampunk and the classics that inspired them, and even watched a few of the genre’s movies and TV shows, I wouldn't consider myself a die-hard fan by any means. On the other hand, I’m not sure if I’m a die-hard fan of anything, and I would suspect that most people are the same way.

Whether it’s books, games, music, movies, or just about anything else, I like variety in both my artists and art forms. In fact, I would guess that most people prefer to identify themselves by their varied tastes in entertainment, rather than associating themselves with just a single genre and style. Of course, being a genre purist has its advantages, including immediate acceptance into an exclusive subculture and a strong bond of common interest within that group. On the other hand, there’s a certain commitment that’s required for that sort of exclusivity. There’s always plenty of ‘required reading’ and often a prevalent attitude of “us vs. them” that can lead to an abrasive, unwelcoming image to anyone on the outside.

The world of steampunk entertainment doesn't have to be this way. Just as fans of superhero movies don’t have to be avid comic book readers, a fan of good stories and fun worlds shouldn't have to have a corset and top hat in her closet before she can read and enjoy a good steampunk book. So what can this intriguing subgenre offer the casual reader?

The Appeal of Steampunk

Since I don’t have a comprehensive knowledge of all the philosophy and subgenres involved, I can only say what it is about this genre that appeals to me. What I love most about steampunk is that it doesn't have to make sense. It’s all about the aesthetic for me. I love the idea of otherworldly magic mixed with the cultural nostalgia of recent history. Picture a dragon flying over a steam train on a misty, moonlit night and you’ll get a taste of what it is about the genre that fascinates me.

I realize that I could get that contrast from magic realism or urban fantasy, and I sometimes do, but I
think the juxtaposition of the unreal and real is especially well-suited for worlds that have Victorian era technology and culture. For me, this time period is the perfect marriage of modern convenience mixed with enough distance from my own daily experience that it already has a surreal quality that compliments the addition of more fanciful elements.

In addition, the attitudes of people during that time period seem to me to have been much more open to fantastic things being very real. From the limitless possibilities of the industrial revolution to the legends and tall tales of the countryside, 19th century western civilization and worlds based on that time period and culture seem to be the perfect place for the kind of strong stories, empathetic characters, and evocative settings that I think most genre fiction readers enjoy.

Introducing New Fans to the Genre

I think that my favorite review of my first steampunk novel has to be one that I received from a fan that I met at an author event during the 2014 PNWA summer conference. She was strolling down the long line of authors and their books, chatting pleasantly with each writer while examining their various works. When she got to me, she picked up each of my books, studied the cover images, read the back covers carefully, then set them both down and walked away. I’ll admit that I was a little disappointed that my stories hadn't passed her thorough inspection, but I didn't think much else about it at the time.

The next day, I gave a workshop on how to write character motivation that keeps the reader interested and drives the story forward. Among the various examples that I gave, I included a short section that described the motivation of Keltin Moore, the protagonist of The Beast Hunter. After the workshop, I was pleasantly surprised when the same lady who had put both my books down just the day before approached me with The Beast Hunter in her hands.

“All right,” she said. “You convinced me. I've bought your book, and I’ll give it a try.”

Less than a month later I noticed a new review for the book on Goodreads. It had been written by the same fan.

“Still not sure if I'm won over to Steam-punk,” she had written, “but I am won over to this series.”

My hope is that my stories will continue to introduce this engaging and evocative genre to new readers. Steampunk is just another backdrop for amazing storytelling, and I eagerly recommend it to anyone looking for something a little different in their reading libraries.

1 comment: